Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spoiled or Not?

When I was a kid, I had 2 pairs of pants and 1 Barbie. Now my daughter has more than she can handle. So how can you tell if your child is becoming spoiled? Well, does your child value her things? Does she have to work for some toys and work to repair damages? Having taught in several schools, I have found that each school has a culture. I taught in 2 affluent schools. In one the children acted spoiled and in the other they did not. I could tell right away what the difference was. The good school had regular service projects. The students wrote letters to the troops, they recycled, they donated food. This is key! I have already taken my kids around to sell cookies and donate the money to needy kids. We will go the the retirement center with flowers in the spring. One more way to keep your child from being spoiled is to put your foot down and don't give in! If they want a toy, maybe you'll say yes, but if you say no, you can't change your mind. Spoiled is the result of being allowed to make an unfair number of choices for a family. Our children are expected to respect authority and are allowed to discuss their opinions in a respectful way.

1 comment:

  1. chores are also a great thing that help them understand that the world does not revolve around them.

    ReplyDelete