Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Selflessness and Getting our Needs Met

Are your basic needs being met? Do you have enough food, shelter, and love? When a person feels resentment toward another person it is often because their basic needs aren't being met. They feel jealous that someone else has more. We need to take the resentment out of the equation and face our own feelings. I have my kids think about what they want. Then ask. Look inside yourself and search for the source of the resentment. Currently, my basic needs are all being met, so it is very easy for me to be selfless. I can give money because I have enough. I can give time because I have enough. But there was a time when I did not have my basic needs met. I think the goal in this life is to stop feeling resentment toward others and be selfless both in times of plenty and times of famine. When we are in need we should recognize it and ask for help. Sometimes there is no other option but to do without. It is in those times that we call upon God to give us strength and eventually change our attitude about the situation so we can be an instrument of God's love to others instead of being a big grump. In those times when we do have enough, we need to show gratitude and then share. If we are continuing to seek what we don't have once our needs are met, we have lost sight of the goal to be more Christ-like. Find a way to show selflessness at home or at work today!

No comments:

Post a Comment